Legal · Accra
We are Hiring!!!
Moove is on a mission to make Africa and other emerging markets more productive and successful by redefining access to auto finance and vehicle ownership. Our starting point is a technology-enabled lending model to radically transform the availability of auto finance and vehicles for on-demand ridesharing services across tier 1 African cities. By doing so, Moove is creating sustainable jobs for mobility entrepreneurs in the mobility sector.
About the Role
Moove is looking for an experienced leader with a strong legal acumen and an entrepreneurial attitude to be the Legal Counsel, reporting to the Country Manager. As a proven result-driven person, the Legal Counsel will be providing legal advisory services to Moove and her businesses, ensuring the management of legal and contractual risks and s/he is also responsible for the effective and efficient management of the legal department.
The ideal candidate will have extensive knowledge of the legal system in Ghana, and a proven track record in reviewing and developing contracts, agreements, and policies as observed in the mobility financing industry. The Legal Counsel will be prepared to be fully accountable for providing legal support, policy guides to all departments.
In this role, you will dig deep into the Ghanaian Legal system so as to make the organization more efficient, productive, and litigation-free. If you've got resilience, some big ideas, and an uncanny knack for organization, this is the role for you!
We are looking for a Legal Counsel who will be involved in overseeing and identifying the legal issues in all departments and to also be a representative and ambassador for the team across the company as well as to external stakeholders. The ideal candidate for the role will be someone who is a Legal expert who also has deep knowledge and understanding of applicable laws and regulations, and the ability to make prudent legal decisions.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Reviewing and providing legal advice on tender documents.
- Liaising with relevant departments to ensure that where legal risks have been identified, appropriate courses of action have been taken.
- Providing legal protection and risk management advice to management especially on contract management.
- Providing and interpreting legal information, conducting training, and disseminating appropriate legal requirements to staff.
- Reviewing and advising management on legal implications of internal policies and procedures.
- Advising Management, Head of Departments on policies, regulations, risks, and implications that may affect or promote novel business ideas and ventures.
- Understanding and advising Management on the business implications of any legal action or inaction.
- Facilitating and ensuring all forms of alternative dispute resolution techniques have been exhausted before resolving to Litigation.
- Attending to all matters of litigation and reviewing the progress of outstanding litigation and liaising with and managing external lawyers (if available).
- Reviewing ongoing cases and advising management accordingly.
- Formulating compliance checklists to be used for the purpose of ensuring that all information required is provided accordingly.
- Continuously monitor compliance with statutory obligations and advise management accordingly.
- Preparing monthly and quarterly reports for the department to be presented at management meetings.
- Conducting extensive due diligence reviews on corporate matters, Moove operations, and reputational aspects for all Moove activities.
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating commercial contracts from a legal point of view with external service providers and suppliers (ensuring that business objectives are met without compromising the protection of Moove)
- Reviewing all contracts or any other documentation where Moove has committed itself and assess legal implications that need to be brought to the management’s attention.
- Preparing, reviewing, and modifying contractual instruments to assist and support various business activities.
- Negotiating, reviewing, and drafting documentation for Moove business transactions and preparing and advising on the necessary checklist to be adopted to ensure information is submitted on time.
- Reviewing and drafting contracts, agreements, and internal policies and ensuring that they are in compliance with all statutory or legal requirements.
- Ensuring that at the contract close-out phase, the deliverables of the contract checklist have been duly met.
- Drafting and reviewing in collaboration with the HR Department, employee contracts, and agreements.
What You will need for this position
- A first degree in Law with a minimum of second class upper honors (LLB).
- You have at least a minimum of 5 years of experience, preferably at a law firm or an international company.
- You are excellent at legal drafting.
- You are at home with privacy, employment, consumer protection, and legal aspects of the gig economy.
- Incumbent must have a very high level of analytical skills & must have complete IT skills as required in an office environment.
- Knowledge of local language essential.
- You are an analytical thinker who loves to solve problems.
Who You'll Be Working with:
Directly reporting to our Country Manager and closely working with our Legal, Regulatory & Compliance Team
About the team
Our team is collaborative, positive, curious, and engaged. We think fast, work smart, laugh often, and are looking for like-minded people to join us in our mission to disrupt vehicle ownership and make cities better.
Moove is strongly committed to diversity within its community.
The Company’s approved Employment Equity Plan and Targets will be considered as part of the recruitment process. As an Equal Opportunities employer, we welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently.
Pre-hiring Notice: Moove relies on the accuracy of the information contained in employment applications, as well as the accuracy of other data presented throughout the hiring process and during employment. Any misrepresentations, falsifications, or material omissions in any information or data provided by an applicant may result in the applicant being excluded from further consideration for employment or if an individual has already been hired, termination of employment.
EEO Statement: Moove is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, political affiliation or any other protected characteristic.
About Moove: Moove is a mobility asset finance company and is Uber's preferred fleet partner across Sub-Saharan Africa. Our Vision is to democratize vehicle ownership and empower mobility entrepreneurs across Africa.
Our Core values are Compassion, Excellence, Innovation, Teamwork, Trust and Ownership.